How My Slow Cooker Saved The Day
My slow cooker is my hero...
My 6 year old started taking karate lessons last week. On those nights, we don't get home until an hour after we usually eat dinner. Now, my go to appliance for really busy days is my slow cooker. Normally I cook really hearty dishes with it, especially in the winter! (Mmm, yummy roast beef, chicken stew... so good!) Last week though, because it's summer, I wanted something lighter for all of us to eat. It had to be tender and delicious. It had to be healthy. It had to be ready for when we got home from his karate class. Oh, and it had to be chicken thighs, because that's what was in the freezer.
Ta Da! Slow Cooker Ginger Chicken! When we all came home, the house smelled amazing! I threw some rice in the rice cooker, and voila! Dinner time! The chicken was so tender it was falling apart every time I tried to pick up a piece. And let me tell you, it tasted even better than it looked!
If you don't own a slow cooker already, please go get one! They are amazing, and such a stress reliever for those really busy days.
Here's the recipe for the ginger chicken. If you like this recipe, or want to learn how to do more with your slow cooker, book one of our cooking lessons. All of our lessons are designed by you, so just let us know what you would like to learn and we'll make it happen!
Slow Cooker Ginger Chicken
- 1 lb chicken thighs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup ketchup
-1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 6 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1" piece ginger, peeled and minced
- Coat the inside of your slow cooker with oil and add the chicken.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the honey, ketchup, soy sauce, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, garlic, and ginger, and pour over the chicken.
- Cook on low for 6 hours.
- Turn off the heat, uncover and let rest for about 10 minutes.
- Serve with rice.